As the school year comes to a close, I want to thank all of our staff for their hard work this year. I also wanted to share some staffing changes for next year. We want to say goodbye to the following staff:
- Ms. Boadway who is completing a Long Term Occasional Assignment with us.
- Mr. Cote who will be starting Teacher’s College in the fall.
- Ms. Fortnum who will be on a Leave of Absence next year.
- Ms. Thompson who will be moving to an Educational Assistant role at Lake Simcoe P.S.
We welcome the following members to our team:
- Mr. Cantor an Educational Assistant joining our team.
- Ms. Langhorst joining our Kindergarten team.
- Ms. O’Neill-Antle returning from Maternity Leave to our Kindergarten team.
We also welcome Ms. Burt as our new principal.
Please help me in thanking all of our team for their work this year.
A reminder that our final School Council meeting of this school year meets this Thursday May 23, 2019 at 7 p.m. in room 206. An accessible elevator is available if you would like to access one.
Procedures and Operating Guidelines:
- Our collective work will focus on supporting student achievement and well being for each student at our school
- Meetings will begin and end on time
- All speakers and opinions will be respected (one speaker at a time, side discussions are to be kept to a minimum)
- We will strive for consensus in our decision making
- Individual students, parents and staff are not to be discussed (Refer parents or student issues to the teacher or principal)
– Land Acknowledgement TBD
Welcome & Introductions All
– April Minutes/ Review Action Items Co-chair(s)
– Admin Report Mr. Collins
– Events, committees, planning for next year
- Treasurer report
- Pizza; need to discuss who will be taking over pizza Pizza Committee
- Loose change challenge- assembly prep
- Volunteer Tea
- Teacher Appreciation Tea
- Fundraising ideas for next year
- School Plan : 3 Ms and Indigenous Education and Equity
Today is support staff appreciation day and we want to extend thanks to our support staff at our school. Educational Assistants support our school’s work and the work as outlined in our board’s Special Education Plan. Our team includes Mrs. Roffey, Ms. Gaudet, Ms. Thompson, Mr. Cote, Ms. Kaufman and Ms. O’Leary. Our staff have a variety of different qualifications, training, certification and backgrounds that help support the work of our school. Each staff member brings different skill sets to our school, but the overall work remains the same: supporting all of our students to improve student achievement, success and well being.
Our educational assistants hired by our Board are also trained in a number of areas including:
– Working as part of a school team;
– Supervision of students;
– support with transitions for students
– Physical care of students;
– Health and safety of staff and students; – Behaviour management, de-escalation strategies, and developing safety plans;
– Accommodations for students with special education needs;
Our educational assistants work in different classrooms and assist with student supervision throughout the day.
Please join me in thanking our team for their ongoing hard work with all of our students.