To our families,
School buses and taxis are cancelled today Friday December 22, 2017.
Transportation will not run this morning or this afternoon.
Our school is open today.
Our pizza program is cancelled for today.
If your child attends today please send him/her with a lunch.
For safety reasons, you may choose whether or not to send your child to school; however, if you keep him/her home you MUST call the school and report the absence.
If you bring your child to school and s/he normally takes the school bus you must also provide transportation home for your child today at 2:40 p.m. dismissal.
Morning entry times will be extended due to the conditions.
Please walk and drive safely this morning.
To our school community,
Even though winter does not officially begin until tomorrow, it’s presence has been felt already for sure. Today, our school grounds are quite icy. One of the challenges when the temperature fluctuates between freezing and non freezing conditions is the state of our school grounds varies sometimes even hourly. As such, we continue to monitor conditions throughout the day. Some general reminders for everyone include:
- Please ensure you walk on the shoveled and cleared walkways. Generally this means a walkway that will circle the school building, our walkway connecting to the town’s walkway on the east side of the school, the walkway that extends from the north side of the school and entrance areas. No other part of the pavement is sanded. We often receive questions as to why this is and the reasons can be found in this board policy and procedure.
- Avoid areas that are pyloned off. We will use pylons to indicate areas that should be avoided due to conditions that exist.
- For our students and staff recess access is determined daily. While we do not want to keep students inside for extended days, sometimes it is unavoidable due to slippery conditions, rain or extreme heat or cold. Typically, we careful planning and diligence we can get outside on most days. We use this resource to help us determine our course of action in these conditions. Sometimes, we will stay indoors but other options we use include: reducing recess times outdoors, reducing the number of students out at any given time, restricting access to areas that are more suitable for outdoor play (ex. a field only recess)
- As always, if you note an area of concern please let the office know. Again as conditions changes often, it helps when our whole community monitors our grounds for safety.
We thank everyone for their support and look forward to safe and fun winter season.
As previously communicated, we appreciate everyone’s support with our school parking lot. Like most schools, our parking lot is very busy at entry and dismissal times. With winter ahead, and a likely increase in students being dropped off and picked up, we are looking to review procedures in the interest of safety. Our foremost goal is safety for all students, staff and community members, and we need your help.
In the interest of improved traffic flow during drop off and pick up, we would ask for your continued support with current procedures:
- All drivers drive with particular care in and around the school. We share a common interest in providing a safe environment for our almost 370 students and we ask that all drivers approach the school patiently, with consideration for pedestrian traffic, and other drivers.
- When dropping off a child (or children), drivers are asked to pull into the furthest available curbside spot and take care when merging back into the inner driving lane. No student should be dropped off from the inner driving lane and subsequently walk between vehicles.
- At no time should a vehicle be left unattended or otherwise parked in the Kiss and Ride as parking is not permitted in the Kiss and Ride as it is designated fire route. The Town ByLaw officer has enforced this bylaw in the past. Idling of cars was also noted in our recent School Health and Safety inspection as a concern that needs to be addressed.
- Parents are to pull away from the Kiss and Ride as quickly and as safely as possible. Please do not use this time to socialize with other parents or staff.
- Parents are not permitted to use the bus loop at the front of the school to drop off or pick up their children. This is a designated Fire Route and is permitted to accommodate only school buses.
- At pick up if you do not see your child (or children), drivers are asked to continue to circle the Kiss and Ride, as needed. Drivers should not stop anywhere in the driving lane to pick up their child, rather continue around the Kiss and Ride and pull up curbside only when they see their child.
- Please do not drive into where the cars are parked as our lot is designed as a one way loop. We will be installing no entry sides on the east side lot to indicate this as well.
We would ask, most of all, for your cooperation in supporting our traffic plan, and we appreciate your patience in dropping off and picking up your children. We thank you for your support in helping to improve drop off and pick up times at the school, and we would encourage you to review these procedures with your children. As always, we remind parents that walking to school is the best way to alleviate traffic congestion and both an environmentally friendly alternative to driving as well as a healthy choice.
Our thanks for your support.