Teachers are certified members of the Ontario College of Teachers. They have degrees in both education and another area of specialization. Some staff have multiple degrees and additional qualifications. Many of our staff continue their learning and training in a wide variety of ways throughout the year. As an early years’ focused school, it is wonderful that many of our staff have pertinent qualifications, including: primary education, reading, kindergarten and special education including specialist qualifications.
I cannot capture the full extent of the work of a teacher here. It is complex work that I have the honour of witnessing unfold each day. Here are but a few of the aspects of a teacher’s work:
- Believing that all students can achieve given the right time and the right supports,
- Planning a program for our students based on the Ontario curriculum and reflections on their own practice,
- Assessing, evaluating and reporting on student achievement throughout the year,
- Committing to ongoing professional learning,
- Creating safe, positive and supportive spaces for all learners,
- Collaborating with students, parents and guardians and each other.
Again, this is only a small sampling. I thank our teachers for the work and commitment. We are fortunate to have teachers who also specialize in areas that include:
- our Learning Commons
- English Language Learners
- Special education
- The arts
- Physical and Health education
- Reading Recovery.
Please join me in thanking our teaching staff for the work they do each day at our school.