We have been asked to share the following information from Student Transportation Services:
To ensure the safety of students, school bus service may be cancelled due to inclement weather, extreme temperatures and/or poor road conditions. In these cases, parents and students should develop alternate care/transportation arrangements. Cancellation decisions will only be made after thorough consultation with the Safety Officers of school bus companies servicing York Region and are based on several factors including precipitation, air temperature, road conditions and weather forecast.
Please note the following;
• A decision to cancel school bus service will be region-wide meaning all school buses, vans and taxis will not operate. Please note if buses do not run in the morning, they also DO NOT run in the afternoon. If your child normally takes the school bus, you must ensure they have a way to get home at the end of the school day.
• School bus routes may be cancelled when severe weather may not be affecting all municipalities in York Region. Both the YRDSB and YCDSB operate many regional educational programs. Students attending these programs are transported over large attendance areas encompassing several municipal boundaries. This limits the ability to cancel bus service using a municipality or zone methodology.
• When bus service is cancelled all school tests and/or examinations will be cancelled and rescheduled.
• Student trips involving the use of school buses will also be cancelled.
• Unless otherwise stated, schools will remain open and parents can make arrangements to transport their children to and from school even if school bus service is cancelled. Again please note if buses do not run in the morning, they also DO NOT run in the afternoon. If your child normally takes the school bus, you must ensure they have a way to get home at the end of the school day.
Therefore students transported to school by parents will require the same transportation home. Parents, students and school staff are asked to access the following radio and television stations after 6:00 a.m. to receive bus cancellation information: RADIO 590 AM 640 AM 680 AM 860 AM 1010 AM 1050 AM 1540 AM 1580 AM 88.5 FM 89.9 FM 92.5 FM 93.1 FM 94.9 FM 95.9 FM 97.3 FM 98.1 FM 99.1 FM 99.9 FM 101.1 FM 102.1 FM 104.5 FM 100.7 FM 105.9 107.1 FM TELEVISION CITY TV CTV Barrie CTV Toronto CP24 GLOBAL NEWS
A bus cancellation message will also be available at School Bus City and by calling 1-877-330- 3001, or by following @YRDSB and @YCDSB on twitter.