Just a reminder to our community that the Town of East Gwillimbury has approved a crossing guard for our school for this school year. It is very important to note the changes with respect to street parking and stopping with this change.
Here are the specific changes for September 2015:
- “No stopping” restrictions will be enacted on the north and south sides of King Street East in the school zone between 7 am and 4 pm, Monday to Friday, September 1st to June 30th.
- Holidays will be exempt from the restrictions.
- The restricted zones are shown on the Robert Munsch report diagram
- The school crossing location will be painted on the roads as per the diagram.
- Cross-walk warning signage will be installed as per the diagram.
- A crossing guard has been hired to cover morning, lunch and evening shifts of 7:20 a.m. to 8:20 a.m, 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m. respectively
- The guard’s name is Mr. Bott and he’s been a guard with the town for several years now.
Signage is now up on our street indicating the new restrictions.
The Town asked us to emphasize that when the crossing guard is on duty and is using their stop paddle, drivers are required to stop. These are the only times when vehicles are actually required to stop at the crossing. This is a school crossing and is intended to provide a controlled crossing location for students only during the hours when the guard is on duty.
At all other times of the day they are not required to stop but they may if they see someone waiting to cross. The crossing guard will also help adults cross if they so desire.
We thank our school council for their support in working with the town to secure a crossing guard for our neighborhood. We look forward to working with Mr. Bott as part of our school team.