Our teachers have now started to arrive at our school to prepare for the new school year. Teachers are certified members of the Ontario College of Teachers. They have degrees in both education and another area of specialization. Some staff have multiple degrees and additional qualifications. Many of our staff continue their training and learning throughout the summer months. As an early years’ focus school, it is wonderful that many of our staff have pertinent qualifications, including: primary education, reading, kindergarten and special education including specialist qualifications.
Hiring of our teaching staff began last February and continued throughout the spring. We have teachers who have taught in school from across all four areas of our school board. We have teachers who at the beginning of their teaching careers and teachers who have many years of experience. We have staff who have taught throughout our province and in other countries. We are also fortunate to have teachers who have joined us from Mount Albert P.S. with an understanding of our students and of the community.
I cannot capture the full extent of the work of a teacher here. It is complex work that I have the honour of witnessing unfold each day. Here are but a few of the aspects of a teacher’s work:
- Believing that all students can achieve given the right time and the right supports,
- Planning a program for our students based on the Ontario curriculum and reflections on their own practice,
- Assessing, evaluating and reporting on student achievement throughout the year,
- Committing to ongoing professional learning,
- Creating safe, positive and supportive spaces for all learners,
- Collaborating with students, parents and guardians and each other.
Again, this is only a small sampling. I thank our teachers for the work and commitment they have already started several months ago. We are fortunate to have teachers who will specialize in areas that include:
– our Learning Commons,
– The arts,
– Physical and Health education
Our school will also have three Lead Teachers:
– Digital Literacy: Technology Lead Teacher,
– Curriculum: Numeracy Focus
– Positive Climates for Learning.
We will also have a Literacy Teacher who will support staff in the work of literacy.
Please help me in welcoming the following teachers to our team:
Next Tuesday morning, please help me welcome our teaching staff to a new school year.
Together, let’s inspire learning in the early years.