Our Board’s Early Years Learning Strategy contains the important tenet of “Building Continuity”.
As a board, we believe that “if we establish links and reciprocity among programs and environments and we promote continuity in the delivery of education, care, and family supports then all children will experience smooth successful transitions”.
As a staff, we have considered this tenet through a question:
“what do we see the journey of the child who starts at our school in Junior Kindergarten looking like as s/he moves through the primary grades”?
One of our goals will be to work together collaboratively to support a seamless education from K-3 for all of our learners. Some of our initial work on this area will include:
- Building strong grade teams at our school that collaborate closely with each other and across the grades.
- Working closely with our Before and After Care provider York Professional Care and Education. In fact, our work will begin next week to set up their programs.
- Developing family engagement opportunities such as our Family Engagement Evening in April and our Welcome to Kindergarten Evening.
- Developing local partnerships with the Mount Albert Community and beyond.
- Establishing partnerships with our board and SEAC professionals who can support our learners and continuity of practice, including:
- our speech and language pathologists,
- our physical and occupational therapists,
- our special education coordinator,
- our school social worker,
- our school psychologist.
Further, we are all new to our school. Therefore, our most important work will be working together as a community to support each other with our first important steps of our incredible journey together.
Here’s to building the links and to building continuity.